Sunday, September 21, 2008

First-Of-Its-Kind




Woooohoooooooo ... Just a week and a couple of hours over it left for the Singapore Grand Prix ... Some drivers' techniques to prepare for the first ever race under artificial lights plus the added feature of a street circuit, as quoted by formula1.com are -

I am staying up late at night, I am going out to nightclubs, and I’m eating a lot of carrots because they apparently help you to see better in the dark. I will work on the simulator on Monday. You see I’m doing all the preparations that I can possibly do. I will touch down in Singapore Tuesday morning and then I will head for the track. I will walk it, crawl it, will cycle it, have someone take me around it on their back - you name it, I’ll do it! - David Coulthard , Red Bull Racing , GREAT BRITAIN

This will be tough because it means trying to stay awake until 8 am, then sleeping for practically the whole day before starting the engineering and running schedule at around 5 pm. The first night race is very exciting for the sport and I can’t wait to see what conditions the floodlighting will present. It’s going to be quite a challenge but one that I’m looking forward to. - Jensen Button , Honda , GREAT BRITAIN

Nothing dramatic - mostly I am curious. The other day I read the schedule of our team and it said: the drivers may leave the circuit at 3.30 am! Isn’t that crazy? But in the end it is going to be pretty much on European timing, so I think we are going to be quite used to the schedule. To learn the track we use a lot of videos and the simulator. When I arrive I like to walk the track with the engineers, or I take the scooter if I want a little more feeling - like in Valencia, as there were 25 corners, and you could not get a proper feeling with only one lap of walking. I will arrive on Monday, and have two days to spend with my wife in the city, and then most probably I will have a very lively nightlife to get used to the schedule. - Rubens Barichello , Honda , BRAZIL

It will be more than just a motor race, we envsion it to be a national festival, and one that presents many opportunities for participation for everyone, both visitors and Singaporeans alike. - Mr. S Iswaran, Minister of State and Inudustry, Singapore.

Really looking forward to the drivers zoom around areas such as the Marina Bay, Raffles Boulevard , Anderson Bridge and St. Andrews Road ... It's gonna be a challenge for the drivers and teams , but a real memorable experience for the viewers ...

No comments: